Join now - be part of our community!

Apple AirPods Work on Bravia OLED TV

profile.country.GB.title
therealvinceunlimited

Apple AirPods Work on Bravia OLED TV

I thought I'd share a tip.

Are you aware that you can set up and use Apple wireless AirPod in ear headphones on a Bravia TV?

At least I can on my Sony Bravia 55’ KD-55AF8 OLED TV running the Android 7.0 software update.  There is no conflict between the Android and Apple systems as Bluetooth is universal.

Select Settings, select Bluetooth settings then choose Add device.  After setting up it is just a case of picking the AirPods icon from the list when needed.

This allows late night use without disturbing others and is ideal for those rare YouTube videos that suggest using headphones for the best effect.

The TV remote changes the sound levels within the ear phones.  However, the "Hey Siri" voice control options are disabled whilst in TV listening mode as this is a function of AirPods when connected to a suitable mobile device.

Hope you find this interesting.  Vince

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi Vince,

Thanks for sharing your earphone tips. We're sure some of our members will find them handy.

Cheers,

Ed

Ravaz13
New

I programmed my air pods to my Sony Bravia 65 A8G OLED TV. It works but I need to raise the volume ALL THE WAY up to hear anything at all. Did I do anything wrong or is there a adjustment I need to make 

thank you 

Roger 

profile.country.GB.title
therealvinceunlimited

Hi Roger,

I normally run my TV with the sound set around 21/100 for both TV output and apps such as YouTube, Netflix and iPlayer. However when I connect my AirPods the sound level switches to 77/100 but sounds slightly quieter.  Volume can be made louder but with the AirPods there is a natural lower limit. I believe this is because Apple deliberately restricts volume output on its devices to protect their users. I can find an acceptable level at around 80/100 whilst using my AirPods. I know of no other way to adjust the sound except the level control on the TV [remote].

Hope this helps, Vince.

JackB12
New

I’ve been able to connect my AirPods to my Sony 900F and can get system sounds while navigating the menu. However, I can’t get the sound from the video program showing on the tv to play. It plays on my tv and my audio system using ARC. I’ve tried different combinations of settings in the Sound area of the menu but haven’t hit on the right combo yet. Can you help?

JackB12
New

Never mind. I had to turn off the AVR for my audio system and just use its pass thru for my source. 

profile.country.GB.title
therealvinceunlimited

Hi Jack, Unfortunately I cannot offer any suggestions on your problem and would only have to work through all the options you have already tried. I presume you have checked all the obvious things like whether something is muted or particular settings on your devices. Maybe someone else will read this post and offer something useful for you. Vince

profile.country.GB.title
Dieu75
Explorer

After many attempts, I was able to pair my Sony Bravia KD-55X75CH to my new Airpods Pro using the Bluetooth Scanner App. My problem now is there is no sound. I did try to turn on/off the Bluetooth & unpair/re-pair the Airpods without success. I even disconnected my Audio system from the TV & tried to use only the TV speakers. Before returning the Airpods Pro, which I like a lot,  I hope you can help me fix this problem. Thank you!

profile.country.GB.title
therealvinceunlimited

Hi, I presume you have referred back to my original post and tried the specific set up instructions there.  And that it is not a simple case of low Apple volumes such as I discussed with other commentators.  If so it is unlikely that I can assist further.  You mentioned that you have your TV set up associated with a sound system but wisely went back to basic TV by eliminating the external source conflicts, which was a good check to do.  You also mention you have AirPods Pro.  I haven't got these types but I understand that they also have configurable settings for noise cancellation etc.  If you haven't done so it may be worth checking if these settings [on your phone?] are not corrupting the process.  Good luck in your investigations as it is useful to be able to listen via the bluetooth.  Vince

profile.country.GB.title
Dieu75
Explorer

Hi Vince,

Yes, I did try switching the noise cancellation on/off. I even tried to put my mobile phone far away from the TV and turn off its Bluetooth. I just read many reviews saying Sony Bravia TV is not compatible with Airpods Pro. I wish I paid attention to this matter before purchasing the Airpods Pro. I will be return it and probably get a headset with transmitter.

Thank you for your quick reply!

Dieu75