Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Triswillmott

I've had that problem a few times before the update. Contacted Sony about the numerous faults with the tv and they decided to take it away for repairs. Haven't had chance to try the update because since taking my tv nobody seems to know where it is, what the diagnosis is or when I'll be getting it back.

If Sony ever try to get you to send a tv in for repairs please done do it guys. The "engineer" they sent had no clue about TVs, he even said himself that he was nothing more than a delivery driver. He grabbed the tv (55x8509) by himself gripping the panel with the palms of his hands and carried it out himself. Watched out the window as he sat the tv on the pavement to open his van, then picked it up again, chucked it in the van and drove away without even strapping it down.

Tris Willmott
Kevwoods12

^^^

that is an absolute disgrace.  Write to them saying what you saw him do and say you'll accept nothing but a new replacement or refund. Did you buy direct from Sony,  how long have they had it? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Triswillmott - I have passed your comment onto Sony Support.  They should be contacting you in the next day or two.

Triswillmott

I emailed that Rick londema guy and it was his team I was dealing with (even they gave me incorrect contact numbers). I emailed her last week when they'd taken the tv to tell her how annoyed I was. She said she'd have to get the drivers side of the story before any action could be taken. TV was due back Monday, haven't heard anything from either Sony or the repair centre. Starting to get a little concerned because if that's the way they treat somebody else's property whilst in their possession then there is no way it'll come back undamaged.
Sadly I bought from Currys. Only reason being my last Sony tv (kdl55w905) packed in after a year and went back. Couldn't be repaired so got a voucher for a new tv.

Tris Willmott

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

Edit your post dude! @Triswillmott

Triswillmott

Thanks, I'll wait to hear from them.

Triswillmott

Really have got to stop replying from my email with that signature..

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

KDL-43W805C in UK with the update. Seems more responsive but there are still issues with the EPG. Sometimes when I enter the guide, it flickers off and on. Sometimes on entering the guide and immediately using the down or up key on the remote it does not move down or up in the guide but displays the reminder list. I have had the guide lock up a couple of times. Now for an odd and dodgy one... If I select a programme (typically news or politics) in the guide for info, and move to 'related content' it might find programmes on channels which are not in my guide such as TV3 or RTE, or programmes it has no data for and I select the programme, the guide closes, and tunes the TV to channel 183 which happens to be ADULTXXX channel, how unfortunate. 

I have also seen another issue where the set now pops up a message saying it has lost connection with the Internet, trying to connect you.

IF these are fixed and a few missing facilities are provided in a future update, then we are getting there.

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
profile.country.NO.title
Einride
Explorer

I updated my TV as well yesterday, it's a 55W755C.

I immediately checked Netflix for 5.1 support, but couldn't get it to output 5.1, it was still stereo only. I then changed the Advanced Sound Settings to "Auto 2" instead of "Auto 1" and rebooted the TV. Bam, 5.1 showed up in Netflix!

I am using a fairly old receiver, a Denon AVR-1910, and sound from the TV is via optical out since the receiver doesn't support ARC. However, from my understanding the format support and bandwidth for optical out and ARC should be the same?

I've tried searching for some good explanations of what exactly "Auto 1" and "Auto 2" does, but I couldn't find much.

I also tried Kodi, which works fine, but that worked fairly well even before the update, including DTS passthrough. Plex I haven't tried yet, didn't have time yesterday. All in all the TV seems a bit snappier, but it's too soon to tell if that will remain the same once the TV has been on for a couple of days...

Twobins

How long does it take to change channels on freeview? My 43X that I returned took four seconds.