Join now - be part of our community!

focusing problem in low light with an external flash unit ?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
dachaigh
New

focusing problem in low light with an external flash unit ?

hi,

i am using asony alpha a65 with an external flash ,but without opening the camera flash it is sometimes hard to focus,i think someone previously posted a way around this problem,any answers please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

Hi dachaigh :slight_smile:

I imagine you're shooting using a manual exposure mode? The camera has no way of knowing you're using an external flash and will display the scene very dark (both on the screen and via the EVF) if you've stopped the lens down ready to take a shot.

The solution is to switch Setting Effect OFF (it's ON by default) which should let you focus and expose 'naturally'.

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello dachaigh :slight_smile:

Just to check, have you got the camera set to autofocus? Also, do you notice the same problem when the external flash is not connected and you are using the internal one? If you could let me know the lens that you are using as well that would be great.

Thanks,

Simon

dachaigh
New

i am using 18-55 lens on autofocus, when i use the internal flash everything is fine as there is illumination when the flash pops up, but using an external flash without the internal flash popped up it is sometimes too dark to focus, i want to be able to use an external flash without having to pop up the internal flash

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

Most external flashes from Sony (only exception is the small HVL-F20AM) feature a build in AF assist light. It will not strobe white light like the build in flash but instead use a projected line pattern (IR LED) to assist the AF metering. You can even use the AF assist light without having the flash firing during exposure like it is the case when you pop upt the internal flash.

Mick2011
New

Hi dachaigh :slight_smile:

I imagine you're shooting using a manual exposure mode? The camera has no way of knowing you're using an external flash and will display the scene very dark (both on the screen and via the EVF) if you've stopped the lens down ready to take a shot.

The solution is to switch Setting Effect OFF (it's ON by default) which should let you focus and expose 'naturally'.

Cheers

Mick

dachaigh
New

Hi mick,

Your theory about what i was trying to do was spot on . Your answer was exactly what i wanted to know, many thanks, much appreciated

regards stuart

Mick2011
New

That's good to know, thanks Stuart :cool: