Join now - be part of our community!

Autofocus as timer shutter releases??

profile.country.en_GB.title
eddyp12
Visitor

Autofocus as timer shutter releases??

Is there a way of getting your α to autofocus just as it takes a shot following a 2/10s timer? It focuses when you first press the shutter, so if, for example you need a shot of yourself and no one else to take one or if your subjects move, you have blurry results. The one work around was to place a mic stand where I'd be standing, run in and chuck it out of the way, whilst assuming it's distance to the lens and compose myself... within 10s. Not very 21st century...

I'm aware the remote is available and can be used for this purpose but I'm amazed there isn't the option... although maybe that would allow less justification for the remote.

Thanks,

Ed

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

Hi Ed, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

You're absolutely right: a remote is the tool you need for this purpose.

The camera will basically lock everything – exposure, focus and all settings – as soon as you depress the shutter release button halfway. When you fully depress the button, as you have to to activate the timer, those settings are activated.

The locking action is a pretty universal feature, both on cameras in general and as actuator for all of the camera's settings. I can't imagine how you would override this functionality.. :thinking:

In the past I've switched to manual focus. There's an element of trial and error, but once you get the distance right (and can accurately position yourself) it solves the AF problem.

Cheers

Mick