Join now - be part of our community!

Additional cropped photos

profile.country.en_GB.title
Felini13
Visitor

Additional cropped photos

I sometimes capture a photo with my a57 and a second cropped version appears on my memory card as well (in portrait mode). Does anyone know what I'm doing to achieve this? It doesn't happen all the time.

2 REPLIES 2
Mick2011
New

Hi Ken, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

That sounds a lot like the Auto-rotate function. When the camera senses the orientation of the camera is vertical (ie turned through 90 degress as you would to shoot a tall subject) it will rotate the image preview so you can review without physically turning the camera. This appears to 'crop' the image from the sides, as it's constrained to the height of the LCD screen, although the actual file is not cropped at all.

It's a feature that only works some of the time because it's activated (I believe) by a simple rolling switch that may not trigger if the camera isn't level to start with; pointing up or down, for example. I personally switch it off and rotate shots myself, so as to have a bigger preview to look at.

In the Playback Display options (Playback menu number 2) you should be able to set rotation to Manual. That should do the trick.

Cheers

Mick

Felini13
Visitor

Hello Mick,

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks very much.

Ken