Join now - be part of our community!

A99 Wireless flash delay

profile.country.GB.title
mikeyp2000

A99 Wireless flash delay

Hi again Sony.

It seems the A99 is having a hard time with wireless flash.   (Triggering a remote f58 with a f20 mounted on the a99)  The delay between pressing the shutter and getting the shot is nearly half a second! This is basically unusable in many circumstances.

Can someone from Sony watch this demonstration video and comment on the likelihood of a fix?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHrBcT51oE8&noredirect=1

If you are short of time, fast forward to about 2:00.  I recommend watching the whole clip - it is most 'illuminating' (if you pardon the pun!)

The man in the clip is Gary Friedman - a well known name in the Sony DSLR/DSLT enthusiast community and makes a lot of money using and teaching the Sony wireless flash system.  I don't think he is too impressed with the A99 implementation.

I was thinking of buying a F20 flash to act as a trigger for my F58 with my A99 but I won't bother until this is fixed.

Cheers!

(Sorry to keep bringing bad news to the forum!)

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Michael :slight_smile:

If possible, I will try and bundle this comment with the one that I highlighted to a Sony contact yesterday as it would be more beneficial to try and get both issues answered at the same time.

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.GB.title
petowen47
Explorer

While you're at it Simon, ask them why Sony are doing their best to cripple an otherwise great camera.

We never had this flash delay with the a700/900 so what's gone wrong apart from the change of flash shoe.

And while we're on the subject, the flash shoe adapter is not brilliant, the F58 is not at all secure on top of it.

Whoever's in charge of flash development at Sony should be shot, well sacked.

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
mikeyp2000

Simon,

Thanks for trying!   I have to admit to being a bit curious about who this contact may be or what their position is within Sony...

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

Hello

if you use the Flash Exposure Lock function (by default the C button is used for this) the consequent shots will have no delay issue. So if you are taking a series of flash exposure without the scene illumination changing much this is a easy workaround.

Best Regards

Michael

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

A representative from Sony Customer Services has given me some feedback to pass on here. They have basically said that this is within the specification and the normal working of the unit. This issue doesn't appear to be happening when using Sony brand flashes and so they recommend using them.

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.GB.title
mikeyp2000

Simon,

Thanks for the update.

Sadly this response from your representative is inadequate.  Did you ask them to watch the video link I inserted in my original question?

The rep seems to have missed the point.  We are talking about using wireless flash triggered using the Sony built in wireless flash protocol.  The Delay *does* occur with Sony branded flashes.  In fact, I am not aware of any other flashes that work with the Sony wireless protocol *at all*.

Please could you ask them to try this:

Ingredients:  A99, HVL-F20AM, HVL-F58AM

First, Mount the F58 directly on the a99. Take a flash pic.  They should find very little delay between shutter press and picture taking.  (The preflash and main flash occur very close together, almost imperceptible)

Second, Move the F58 off camera, set to wireless TTL.  Mount the F20am on the a99 and take a wireless flash photo.  They will now observe about a half second delay between shutter press and picture taking.  (The half second delay seems to be between the preflash and main flash)

Now ask them to try the same thing with an A900.  They will see the wireless flash delay is just not there.  The A900 functions as it should, the a99 has a wireless flash delay.

All of this is clearly demonstrated in the video I mentioned.

Please could you return to them and ask them to try again?

Cheers

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

I will double check that all of this has been taken into consideration and let you know.

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.GB.title
mikeyp2000

Simon - good luck!   Can I emphasise that you make sure they watch the video clip.  They won't get a clearer demonstration and explanation than that!

profile.country.GB.title
mikeyp2000

Simon,

I had hoped against hope that the recent firmware update may have addressed this issue.

By all accounts, it has not 😞