Join now - be part of our community!

a99 PAL/NTSC switch missing in menu

profile.country.en_GB.title
jonnybruce
Visitor

a99 PAL/NTSC switch missing in menu

I appear to have bought a version of the a99 that can only record movies in 60i/60p/24p.

I was led to believe from all the many reviews that I read that it was possible to switch in the menu to PAL frame rates 50i/50p/25p.

Not so on my model, shame because my main reason for buying it was for video in the UK!

My question is this - will I be able to make my camera record PAL frame rates with a firmware upgrade?

Does anybody out there know of such a thing?

Message was edited by: -Cass-

Invalidating the warranty

Tags (5)
4 REPLIES 4
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello jonnybruce - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

As far as I am aware, you are only able to switch between NTSC and PAL video formats on the European version of the A99. I may be able to clarify this for you if you can provide me with the link if you purchased the camera online but it sounds like you have purchased the version of the A99 that is aimed at the US market. If this is the case, the video format would be a physical issue and therefore it would not be possible to fix this with a firmware update.

Thanks,

Simon

jonnybruce
Visitor

Thanks for that info Simon.

Wow, that does surprise me, a physical issue as in different chipset??

I bought the camera online from Korea - it has 60i on the bottom of the camera.

Am I right in thinking the EU one has 50i on the bottom.

Its mad, I spent weeks looking at info on this camera and not once did find a mention of there being 2 differing physical models out there!

Looks like I might have to try and sell it and buy the correct camera for my needs now.

However, I am doing tests today to see what kind of artifacts I will get from importing 60i footage into my 50i Avid projects.

I may be able to live with it but somehow I think not.

I am also planning to buy the Atomos Ninja 2 - so I guess I will need the camera to record true 50i for the ninja to create 50i mxf files right?

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

You are correct - it is a physical issue as in the actual hardware used that sets the video format.

Regarding the Atomos Ninja 2, I wouldn't be able to answer questions about this as I am not familiar with it. However, Atomos do have a support page set up at http://atomos.com/support/ where you are able to submit support tickets for issues such as this.

Thanks,

Simon

jonnybruce
Visitor

Thanks for clearing that up Simon.

Funny you should mention the Atomos support because I posted my problem to them just the other day.

They confirmed (what I suspected all along) that the Ninja 2 will only record the format set by the camera to the hdmi port. There is no conversion process available as yet.

So that's a no no too.

Having said all this my tests on Avid Media Composer were quite favourable.

I recorded a 30 sec clip with audio on the a99 using 60i format.

I then ama linked to the file direct in Avid and did a transcode to the project's frame rate (50i).

The result was pretty good actually. I really couldn't notice any frame dropping going on at all, or any sound speed issues.

I was quite impressed.

I have put my current a99 up for sale on ebay anyway.

If it sells, it sells and I can then get the 50i version.

If it doesn't sell, I don't think it is the end of the world as this camera is great, and the file conversion ok.