Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-Z90US RAID format?

profile.country.GB.title
mike_coreit

VGN-Z90US RAID format?

Hi, I've got a Vaio VGN-Z90US, I'm trying to get the data off its SSD drives using a different machine as the laptop is not bootable. I have purchased a Slimline SATA to SATA adapter, and this allows me to see the drives in a different system, but on the first drive I cannot browse the filesystem, and on the 2nd drive it says the partition table is not initialized.

Is there some way I can browse the filesystem without using the original laptop?

P.S. I know the drives are readable as I have run data recovery software on one of them and I have gotten the majority of files that I was after, but this is still not ideal.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Is the sytem you are using to try to read the SSDs a RAID system?  You need a hardware RAID controller in the system and RAID turned on in the BIOS.

The problem is that different hardware RAID Controllers lay down the stripes in slightly different ways.  If you use a system with the same hardware RAID Controller you can usually read discs from another system.

However, this is a bit of a lottery as you sometimes need the same BIOS, chipset and drivers.  In some extreme cases the discs can only be read by the original motherboard.

I always back up my RAID 0 arrays into a single hard disc as speed is not the highest priority for a backup.

I am not sure if the RAID controller in the Asia-Pacific Z-Series is Intel, Silicon Image or nVidia.  If you can find out, you stand a good chance of reading the drives on another system with the same RAID Controller installed.

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
mike_coreit

It does baffle me why the machines come out of the factory this way.