Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrading ram = crash of windows

samySLO
Visitor

Upgrading ram = crash of windows

Hi,

I have a model of Vaio PCG-FR102. This model have on default 256 ddr ram (PC2100, CL2,5). I wanted to upgrade the ram for 512 ddr more (up to 768)with the same properties (PC2100, CL2,5) only the brand is diferent. The first time I put the new memory card inside it worked perfect (in windows system properties showed that I have 768 ram and in BIOS the same.) But when I restarted the system for the third time (approx.) in windows xp, was showed a blue screen (with some errors) and the system restarted. When it restarted there was only 512 ram running. When I check it out with Sandra 2007 (SiSoftware), it showed me that the default Ram was working on full - 256 ram, and the new one was working on half power - 256 ram.
Now, every 15. restart of computer (approximately 15) there is again a blue screen (before the starting of win) that stops the starting of win. This stop is caused because the system want to run 768 ram, but when windows wanted to start there is a breakdown.

I hope you can help me, because it is really upsetting. :slight_frown:

Tnx

Samy

13 REPLIES 13
Zagster
Visitor

Hey Samy,

To my knowledge BIOS doesn't remember anything... :slight_smile: It recognises memory by checking it during startup. Of course, if the memory is not compatible with your notebook you can get a false reading.

I've put your Vaio's model through bothCrucial's Memory Advisor Tool and Corsair Configurator.

- It seems that for Crucial the compatible 512Mb memory module for your system would be PC2700 and not PC2100:
VAIO PCG-FR102
512MB CT526591 DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 64Meg x 64

- While for Corsair it would be PC2100:
Sony VAIO PCG-FR102
Part # » CMSS512MB-266SOD
Type » DDR-266 (PC-2100) SODIMM
Size » 512MB
Package » 200-pin SODIMM

Therefore depending on the manufacturer, module compatibility with your Vaio differs... unless they've done something wrong with their website... :thinking:

Stam

samySLO
Visitor

HI Zagster,

First of all many tnx for your interesting for my problem!
But I don't understand now, I tried many times to run the "new" ram alone but it always shows like it is 256 mb. As I said sometimes at the beginning when I putted the 512 ram inside it was recognized like 512, but now I tried so many times to restart the computer (only with 512 inside), but it always shows like it is only 256.
If it is true that is a false reading, than why sometimes it recognize the right value of Ram.
Maybe Crucial don't produce PC2100 ram and because of this they sell for the compatible for my computer the PC2700 (i think that is no important if the ram is higher Mhz, because the computer automatically reduce it on its basic Mhz)

I think that for now the best way is that I put both of ram inside and run on 512. Better 512 than 256 :cry:

Zagster
Visitor

Samy,

Please see a similar case in this thread .

Stam

samySLO
Visitor

Now the computer suddenly started to run on 768 ram :slight_smile: , but I don't know now what to do now? Or leave it in this way or change the ram only to 512???

I have already check that thread, and tnx again Zagster. :wink:

Samy