Join now - be part of our community!

sony xl201

Krissyjj
Visitor

sony xl201

Just purchased this sony entertainment system , checked with store that it would go with my fairly new LCD moniter , only to find that it does not have the standard moniter port on it , shop gave me an adapter to use but still get no input is it possble to connect this moniter which is a Philips 170C or not . The unit itself seems really good but i bought it so i did not waste money on a moniter now it seems to have been misold as i acannot connect to it . I notice there is a spare card slot could this be a solution. Grateful for any help
Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I think you will find that the XL-201 only supports a HDMI connection (or DVI via the supplied adapter)

Unless your display has one of these connections, it will not work properly. I am not too sure but I think the 170C only has an analogue VGA input. The XL-201 only works with a digital output.

I don't think inserting a VGA PCI card will help. The digital output only is a DRM copy protection measure.

:slight_frown:

Krissyjj
Visitor

Thanks for confirming my worst thoughts, now I have a dilema do i return this sleek entertainment system, and get the whole new desktop kit including new monitor or do I keep the sony entertainment system and just buy a upto date moniter for it.
Your thoughts would be a help

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Difficult to say as I don't have one!! You are probably talking to the wrong person as I have not yet been 'sold' on the Media Centre concept.

Copyright protection means they are crammed full of DRM protection and consequently connectivity is too restricted for my normal (and completely legal) requirements.

There is no doubt that we will all need HDMI and HDCP capable displays to play protected media in the future but I see this as a backward step in computing.

:cool:

smlcool
Visitor

hi,
i had one of these machine..but within A day, decided to take it back.. the reason was that the damn thing does not record tv from standby with the hdmi capable lcd connected and switched OFF.

http://www.club-vaio.com/clubvaio/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=37249

Sony VAio support / technicians have now taked the machine back to test!! the thing is none of the other machine I bought from the Sony Centre record either..

DOES your record??

it has to be used like a video... ie set timer either from guide or manual time.. ( possibly a few records of a a few minutes long).. then press standby on remote.. switch off tv.. and hey presto.... no tuner card found. OR system malfunction or tuner signal loss....

and that is all on a £1000 media centre....!!!!!

Cold boots always record.. but second recording don't work....
look into history of the recording... BY
SETTINGS
TV
RECORDING

either PARTIAL... or DID NOT RECORD!!

so Sony is sorting it out!! still yet to hear from them... do you have any of these problems..

Thanks in advance if you post back.... ANYONE???