Join now - be part of our community!

No HDDR partition on a VGN-FZ21M???

william17
Visitor

No HDDR partition on a VGN-FZ21M???

Hello there!

I don't know what's happening but some things seem to go wrong with my brand new laptop and this kind of sadly seems to be the only place I could find help so... There it goes. I bought a Vaio VGN-FZ21M on december 21st and since I have experienced a weird situation with it.

First I found that I could not "create" a recovery disk set when I was ready to do so, because an error tells me it's impossible to do it. Perhaps cause I don't even have the second partition that was supposed to be included as the new HDDR technology!? This looks actually pretty weird though, and if only there was a place where I can at least buy the Windows Vista recovery DVD I'd be glad to know. Unless someone has already found it I think this doesn't exist!?

Second I cannot even get close to contact the Sony support. This is the third time I'm trying to login to the Vaio-link e-suport website without success, so I sent a request twice to retrieve my personal infos by email to check what's wrong, but even after 3 days the answer is yet nowhere to be found in my inbox. Please if someone knows about a contact email that work...should be pretty kind from you!

And third, maybe less important but the Vaio update feature doesn't work at all. Same goes for the famous windows panel, that keep telling me when I try to load it that I must have the admin rights to use it. Kidding me? Where is the unknown and well hidden sysadmin that I put a feet a couple of times where it belongs!? :anguished:

So this isn't a total pleasure finally. It's even annoying since I also bought a HP Pavillon laptop for my girl and this has been rather so easy to setup, and still not even 1 problem encountered, at this state I'm almost thinking I should have bought a HP Pavillon for myself too.

Please comment guys... For me this is obviously an abnormal situation, am I an exception? Does someone actually know how to contact Sony by email?

Please help, seriously I just don't know what's the matter with this unit...

Much thanks in advance! :wink:

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi William77,

You can check the recovery partition..

Go to Start and type Computer in the Start search box and then click on Computer management from the list.

Click Continue on the UAC control window and a new Computer management window should open.

Maximise the Computer management window then on the left hand side click on Storage > Disk management.

You should see Healthy EISA partition listed, what Capacity and Free space is shown.?

What error message is shown when you try to create a set of recovery disc's, have you tried a different make, I used TDK DVD+R on my Vaio's to create the recovery sets..

william17
Visitor

Hi Thalamus!

Glad you care about my prob dude! Thanks for your response.

Actually I've already checked what you suggested, this was the first reflex I had. My EISA partition (10.08 GB) is healthy indeed but 100% free space... :drool: This is in fact what makes me worry. It's "normal" then that when I reboot and hit F10 there's no way to recover this machine to factory default:smileyraised_eyebrow:

I really think the best thing I have to do is visiting my reseller and exchange for another unit.

Happy new year man, best wishes -

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi William17 and welcome.

Yes, take it back and ask for an exchange.

You could phone Sony Support here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/contacts/contacts.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&tp=vaio&cc=en_GB&cm=phone

but they will be unable to replace the Recovery Partition without collecting the Vaio and shipping it to their repair centre.

:wink:

william17
Visitor

Hello Blencogo.

Many thanks though for taking the time for me it's much appreciated...

Hope an exchange is possible at my local sony store.

Cheers mate :wink: