Join now - be part of our community!

LCD Screen Noise

cphuelva
Visitor

LCD Screen Noise

Hi all,

I bought a Vaio FS315S on December, and immediatly I noticed that when setting brightness less than a full, the lcd panel made an annoying noise.

I opened a case with Sony, it was sent to Service (apparently repaired), but when returned the noise was still there. Might be "normal"? I've tested with others Vaios (not exactly the same I own) and there is no noise...

Note: One month ago I found two or three threats about it in this forum, but by now they have disappeared!

Thanks a lot!

47 REPLIES 47
KGEE
Visitor

Hi all!

Firstly in response to RYU & others

I was told by Consumer Advice that once you let Sony take it for repair the Retailer will give you no assistance with your issue. I learnt that the hard way. BUT by all means try the retailer you never know just try not to mention that you sent it off for a repair already!! I bought mine online so i could'nt physically go into a shop & menace them for a replacement.
But IF you have no joy with your retailer, I would call Sony again & ask to speak to a Supervisor & ask for a alternative model replacement as obviously they know they can't fix this fault.

From my experience it is not the Sony call centre reps (UK/Ireland) that cause the slow service (Reps were very helpful in the end) it's the Repair Centre in FRANCE that slows the process. They tried saying they could'nt hear any buzzing noise yet they had replaced parts on 2 occasions previously to try & fix the noise issue, Jokers!!!

Anyway, cphuelva, glad to hear they gave you a replacement laptop too!! (hope all is well with it still!!). I have just received my replacement today a new (newish) A517B all seems well so far touch wood.

Hope all the rest of you get sorted out quicker than i did!!

All The Best!!!

Damo.b
Visitor

Hello again
First of all, I have to say well done to everybody who followed up on this LCD noise problem, frustrating and all as it was dealing with Sony support.

Also glad to hear ye finally got sorted out with working replacement laptops.

I still have the fs315s with the buzzing screen, which I’ve been using on full brightness and really hasn't given me any other trouble.
I was hesitant about sending it back to Sony after reading about the delays and the problem not even been fixed on return but I’m still a bit worried that aside from the annoyance the noise causes it may be a sign of worse to come later, by that I mean could the lcd fail altogether some day!!

Did Sony give anybody any indication of how serious this problem is, and would you recommend I look for a replacement? I bought the laptop from Sony style direct back in January so it’s still under warranty.

Thanks a lot.

gruezak
Visitor

no LCD screen should not make any noise.
CRT may make but not LCD

May be other component? It seems to come from the LCD... it's a constant noise...

Thanks!

Hi cphuelva,

I get a slight hum if I reduce the brightness of my screen. I'm guessing now but if you use a dimmer to dim lights in a house sometimes the dimmer switch makes a hum, so maybe it's down to a resister or transistor like device. :thinking:

So... in other words, this might be normal... What I can't understand is why other vaio notebooks don't have the same noise...

Anyway, I'll use it with full brigthness!

Thanks a lot!

ı have the same problem

Ryu
Visitor

They picked up my buzzing FS-315B for the second time and they sent it back without touching to the LCD at all.

So, it's obvious that they cannot fix this problem.

I can't understand why they just don't tell us that. As if they will pick my laptop up and send it back with the same problem until my warranty is over...

Anyway, I can stand this noise, I won't send it back for the third time (it's pointless).

I don't want to struggle for a replacement.

This issue definetely disappointed me about Vaio's.

Ryu
Visitor

Damo.b, I think full brightness can be harmful for your eyes... I used it in full for 4 months and I began seeing some little circles in the air. Thanks God, my eyes got back to normal soon after I decreased the brightness.. :slight_smile:

By the way, I don't suggest sending it for a repair. I sent for 2 times but it didn't help. You just lose time.

I think the noise is bearable. I've decided to live with it.

But when I buy a new laptop someday, it probably won't be a Vaio.

ado_ro
Visitor

Hello

I have a FS315E and it has the same buzzing problem. It's scary reading what happened to all you guys and knowing it'll happen to me too. I can't keep the birghtness full al the time, I have a problem with my eyes and they hurt in like 5 minutes.

Guess we could all go to the Customer Care Service and explain to them what happened: u only know about that problem after you buy one so you can make a user on club-vaio.com and get scared reading the forum.

I'll go to the service and complain about it. And go back and back until they fix it.

LambChop
Visitor

My FE11H has the same lcd issue. Someone who have the same model have the same problem? PChuelva said tha Sony replaced his laptop whit a FE11H model and he has no problems about that.
Thanks!

frequent
Visitor

I just bought a c1z 13.3' laptop and i get a very irritating high pitch noise from the screen.It sometimes changes according to the screen angle, its like it comes from the hinges.Very dissapointing indeed.And i hate to send it right now for servicing in france, as i realy need it.
Anyone knows why/how it happens???