Join now - be part of our community!

Computer has "senior moments" and the only solution is to restart

profile.country.en_GB.title
huminne87
Visitor

Computer has "senior moments" and the only solution is to restart

Does anyone else have a VPC z11 (VPC z12 and VPC z13 would expect to have the same problem) that gets out of bed the wrong side some times?

When I boot up, it looks just fine.  But when I click "start", I can see if it is running slow.  If I try to carry on, then it can take 15 mins to load MS Word, and ages to respond to each key stroke.  From bitter experience I've found the only solution is to restart the laptop straight away.  It's just a random thing about once in 5 bootups.

It only happens when I'm plugged into the mains and have an external monitor attached.  I've traced it to the out of date nvidia driver within the Hybrid graphics driver set.  This makes sense - I have version 188.xx, the most up to date version I've been able to install is v190.xx, whereas Adobe Premiere Elements v9 requires a more up-to-date version (and Premiere Elements is bundled on some Sony Vaio) and nVidia offer drivers v260 onwards

I've searched the web and the best I can find is to get rid of the hybrid driver and lose hybrid switching.  This would be great, except that this solution doesn't support an external screen and I use one to fit big spreadsheets, lots of documents side to side, and (you guessed it) video editing.

I can't believe nobody else has this problem!  I'm frustrated because Sony just ignores my requests.  I've spent another $40 putting in a support telephone call and of course there isn't a solution although the nice lady says she will ask them to find a solution.

If anyone has any brilliant suggestions I'd be delighted!

Message was edited by: huminne87

0 REPLIES 0