Join now - be part of our community!

Clicking Sound From FE11S? what is it?

Spinstorm
Visitor

Clicking Sound From FE11S? what is it?

Hey

I got an FE11S two days ago and this morning I heard a clicking sound that started for no apperent reason and would happen every 30 seconds roughly - it happened 5 or 6 times then I restarted the laptop (as I was trying to sleep and clicking noises are annoying in that situation!).

I has not occured since then, although before it started it had been on for about 14 hours (plugged in of course!).

I am guessing the harddrive and processor are at the front of the laptop as that is where the most heat is and where it sounds like the harddrive is when I can hear it, but this sound was coming from the back near the battery or speakers.

It may have been from the speakers themselves but it could have been from something else (although the speakers were muted on the laptop when it happened).

I phoned Sony and they said if it happens again let them know which I will so what could it be? any ideas? I hope it is just a one off dodgy PC momment as I would hate to have a serious problem on a new laptop! By the way everything is and was working perfectly there is no obvious problem with anything the PC is doing just that clicking sound which happened for a few mins before I restarted it.

65 REPLIES 65
surfcrazedscot
Visitor

I've had an VGN-FE11S for 2 weeks and, unless I can find a solution to this annoying clicking apart from sending it back to Sony, it'll be on eBay by the end of the week. I'll then arrange a day off work to post really c**ppy reviews on every consumer website I can find.

It might not cure it but it'll sure make me feel better.:smileydevil:

blue.shift
Visitor

I have an FE11H and I have the same problem. It is definitely the HDD, because the led lights up every time it clicks. I don't really care about it, but it would be interesting what causes this.... looks like it was caching anything.
The HDD seems to be ok so far... everything works fine.

profile.country.en_GB.title
speedoman
Explorer

hi

my fe11s started clicking & it is the hard drive!!!! i know the noise from previous experience with other pc's, either the problem can be fixed with the software i'll mention below, or the hard drive has a mechanical problem and needs changing, the hard drive is directly to the left of the mouse pad (small rectangle panel under laptop with 2 screws)

hard drive is made by fujitsu & they have a diagnostic software tool on the fujitsu web site & when i ran it, the program said no hard drive found on laptop, i spoke to fujitsu & they said i should wait for later version of software to come out, which i will do! anyone who goes to fujitsu web site, the version i tryed is 6.40

however i decided to update the BIOS which is in the sony updates & since then no clicking yet, however i am not convinced this has fixed the problem

profile.country.en_GB.title
speedoman
Explorer

hi

my fe11s started clicking & it is the hard drive!!!! i know the noise from previous experience with other pc's, either the problem can be fixed with the software i'll mention below, or the hard drive has a mechanical problem and needs changing, the hard drive is directly to the left of the mouse pad (small rectangle panel under laptop with 2 screws)

hard drive is made by fujitsu & they have a diagnostic software tool on the fujitsu web site & when i ran it, the program said no hard drive found on laptop, i spoke to fujitsu & they said i should wait for later version of software to come out, which i will do! anyone who goes to fujitsu web site, the version i tryed is 6.40

however i decided to update the BIOS which is in the sony updates & since then no clicking yet, however i am not convinced this has fixed the problem

Wolf7
Visitor

my hard drive clicking (rarely) although I've already updated bios to lastest version

profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

I still have the clicking sound, I think I'm gonna send it straight back to sony and let them have a look. Hope they will not tell me it's the hard disk working....IT IS NOT THE HARDDISK WORKING! dont even think about that option. My brother has the fs laptop of sony and he never heard the clicking sound that I have. I bet it has something to do with the harddiskarm....Seems like a lot of people have the same problem....Pffff max 10 days without a laptop....can't imagine a life without a laptop....I guess whenever I buy something new there must be something wrong with it. Surprises me that nobody here has send it to sony yet....

mobileprofi
Visitor

Same to me - after 3 weeks with no sound - now me fe11s does produce the same sound every 20 sec. - hope there will be a solution - in my office i like it quiet - and i hate this sound - i will bring back my vaio to solve this problem by sony.

VaioWoman1
Visitor

It could simply be that:

If it is a consistent CLICKING sound, like a "tut" sound - it may be that you have inadvertently activated "All Your Sounds" as I have done myself! Check it out before doing anything drastic!

"Just A Thought"

Wolf7
Visitor

What do you mean with "All Your Sounds" ???

We are talking about an hard disk problem; these clicks come from the hard disk, not from the speakers...

knock_knock2006
Visitor

Hi,

I got Sony Vaio FE11S in March 2006. It run cool and excellent for few days and then suddenly I heard a kind of clicking sound that started on its own for no reason and would happen every now and then (about every 10-15 seconds roughly). It's random though.

If I restart it, it's ok for a while and again it's the same thing...!!!

I observed that if my laptop is idle for couple of hours this annoying sound starts automatically. And in order to get rid of it, I have to leave my laptop switched off for few hours. This is sick thing ever as the sound is very annoying and this is not I expected from Sony Vaio.

The sound is not coming from the speakers, I don't need to mute the sound either. It's a kind of weird sound and it seems that it's coming out from Hard drive.