Join now - be part of our community!

Built in express card card reader

rgoggy
Visitor

Built in express card card reader

hi

i just wanted to read a xD card with the VGP-MCA20 that was delivered with my sz2.

but i don't see any drive in windows, also after restart and using a sony memorystick

has anyone a solution?

6 REPLIES 6
ian4c
Visitor

I have the same problem with a Brand New FE31Z. Contacted support 2 days ago - no answer yet. Bit slow with answers compared to other companies. I wonder if this is normal service for Sony?

rgoggy
Visitor

do you use the original windows? I updated to windows tablet edition.

or did you deinstall any sony programs

ian4c
Visitor

do you use the original windows? I updated to windows tablet edition.

or did you deinstall any sony programs

No, my computer is new. An FE31Z with XP Media. I generally leave everything as is. My laptop is not my main computer. Used mainly for photography. So not many programmes need to be installed.

Regarding Tablet Edition. I don't imagine the operating software would make much difference. In my case, if you re start the laptop it hangs on startup until the MCA20 adaptor is removed! So it must be a hardware fault?

rgoggy
Visitor

oh sounds like hardware or even a driver problem.

my pc does nothing when i plug it in. Ecxept listing the card reader in the device manager. but has no driveletter

ian4c
Visitor

oh sounds like hardware or even a driver problem. 

my pc does nothing when i plug it in. Ecxept listing the card reader in the device manager. but has no driveletter

Since my last post I have had another go. I can get the adaptor to read the SD card. Not much use but it sort of proves that the adaptor provided by Sony has a design fault..

Perhaps you will see if this works for you. Install the adaptor. Put in the SD card to the end of the travel and hold it. Mine reads the card. But as soon as you let go and the card moves back a mm it stops reading.

This would suggest that Sony may have got something wrong with the card alignment or we have faulty adaptors. I have tried several makes of card and none work.

Let us know if you find the same.

ian4c
Visitor

I have the same problem with a Brand New FE31Z. Contacted support 2 days ago - no answer yet. Bit slow with answers compared to other companies. I wonder if this is normal service for Sony?

Sony Support was slow to answer via e-Support however after I spoke on the telephone I am pleased to report that I have now received the replacement from Belgium and the replacement work fine.

Thank you Sony Support