Join now - be part of our community!

Bug In Software And Poor Software?

Automan
Visitor

Bug In Software And Poor Software?

Hi, I have had my Vaio Pocket now for a few days.

Like some others at first I thought it was broken as I could not get past the language selection of setup.

The guide does not make it very clear that the 25 touch buttons are also physical buttons that must be pressed like a mobile phone button to actually make a selection.

Now my bug.
My tracks have accurate tags but if I select an artist e.g. 10cc and pick all 10cc tracks I get Mungo Jerry!

It seems the player does not understand compilation CD's

I also have a NW-HD1 which plays just 10cc tracks correctly loaded from the same SonicStage 2.2 library.

Next.
After loading 10,000 tracks the player needs 30minutes to index them - this is very poor. the NW-HD1 does the same sort of thing in under a minute.

Also if you then just add one track it takes another six minutes to index the data. This is worse than the first Creative HD machines from over two years ago!

Next.
Photo Playback
No option for slide show speed, zoom or any resume.

I also loaded under USER_001 all my photos in folders made out of the date they were taken.

Stupid me thought I would be able to select a folder to view but no. It just plays the lot from the start (4,300 images).

The only option is to put each date under a USER_XXX folder and create an excel spreadsheet listing USER_XXX to a given shooting date - Very poor show 😞

Next
Intertrack gaps
This device seems to wait for a track to end and then starts up the hard drive to play the next. Again this is the action of a primitive HD based player from last century.

Again the NW-HD1 can playback without gaps the same atrac3plus files.

Next
Scroll Down / Scroll Up
The menu covers the first characters of the album or track name you are trying to find. - poor show.

With all those 25 keys I'm sure it would have been possible to allow some alpha input to speed up the finding of a track or album.

Once you have 20,000 tracks loaded I'm sure you will get fed up trying to find a album with a name starting with a letter in the middle of the alphabet.

I think these are all my main points :slight_smile:

Regards

Automan.

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Automan,

Sounds like you have been doing a lot of research into your VAIO Pocket, and I find it hard to believe half of these bugs (I'm not calling you a liar, I believe you, just find it hard to believe Sony have not bothered to be in 2004 rather than than 1998!)

Seems crazy that when you ask for 10CC you get Mungo Jerry! That would annoy me big time (prefer 10CC anyday!)

Seems to be this VAIO pocket has been badly planned out.
Hopefully the developers will see this (god knows how, not many sony workers visit)

Automan
Visitor

One other thing, if they add an Alpha search option (I hope they do), they need to make it non case sensitive.

Thus when you search for "The Beatles" it will still find it if it is entered "the beatles", "THE BEATLES" etc

This is a problem with M-Crew software provided with Sony Hard Disc Recorders.

The find only work if you enter the text in exactly Upper/Lower case as in the database.

Otherwise the gadget is not bad but has failed in so many areas that could have been easily and cheaply avoided.

Automan.

kee-lo_

Thats bad.
I have a feeling Sony were only trying to rival iPod, they should have spent more time on it.

Thorin
Visitor

Hallo, the problem with e.g. 10cc and an other musican is coming, is like that: it is absolutly urgend to give the musican an album like: 10cc the best. If you only give the name: the best. The viao takes all band with the album " the best" and is sure it is one band and you get at the selection all titles from all albums with the name "the best". ( you can understand my bad english?). Its differnet from iTunes, there it is no problem with the albums, at sonicstage it is, because the albums are the playlists, too.
And the thing with the picture viewing, I think sony didn´t want to make a dia-projector. You only should be albe to have a back up of your pictures. The viewer I only use to show a small number of pictures, just like the few photos of kids you allways have with you in your pocket. or like that:" Hallo look this is the chick I met last night ;-)!"
You understand?

Greetings Thorin

TygerTyger
Visitor

Incidentally, the case-sensitive search was one of the bugs I highlighted in the beta forum search. Wonder if it's just something that never occurred to them.

Automan
Visitor

I have reformatted my units drive, applied Album art to 421 albums in SonicStage to try again...

SonicStage seems to take about 30minutes before it starts to transfer tracks to the player as it checked to rights to the files.

All but one track transferred okay...
HDD Space Used: 14.8GB
Transferred Songs: 9603
HDD Free Space: 22.4GB
Version: 2.0.0.9030F

Anyway the main "bug" persists.
From main menu I select Artist
I scroll down to say "Adam Sandler"
I then get All "Adam Sandler" songs or "The Wedding Singer" as availble choices.

I select All "Adam Sandler" songs and the unit then list all the tracks on "The Wedding Singer" CD starting with "Video Killed The Radio Star" by "Presidents Of The Unted States".

Of course the unit should filter out tracks other than ones by "Adam Sandler" which is Track 13 "Somebody Kill Me".

The "Jacket" option is quite good but no option to order the display of my 421 jackets.

Also on the navigation menu it would be cool if they "greyed out" the page up / down icons when you are at the top or bottom of a menu / listing.

I also tried merging some multi cd box sets into one compilation entry in Sonicstage.

This also works okay but you must delete from Sonicstage the actual CD's (but not the tracks) or the will be copied over twice.

Re the photo feature, even if only used for a few photos. You still have no easy way to find them as they have to be in folders caled USER_XXX where xxx is 001 working up to 999.

Automan.

kee-lo_

Sorry to say it but SS is just damn poor.
This Best Of business is pretty elementry.

kee-lo_

Damn server

Milo2201
Visitor

lucky you ! server and error messages are wonderfull..first keep the desk top hp/compaq great then vaio laptops ..software and reg this reg that..parts work parts dont .. first screen great..software crap..or should it be..why is my muzic now in a script like japaness..en > if sony ever reply..it would help?. or is it the 1.00per mn to sort out..or as we say in wessex the milk cow gives and gives till it needs .....again..the first vaio we called the brick..had norton go back on not for resell?..this vaio has a great screen..vaio media as grandfather said in queensland dreamtime or walkabout is fine..but better in a car..vaio might be better with m/s inside..ps the screen is great and so are members screens save as background..so some work..some are lucky .. like the dog with three legs glass eye one ear one kidney no nose called lucky..but for some reason parts dont fit is it all sp2 or the reg process is poor to the installed software