Join now - be part of our community!

Notification sounds not working

SOLVED
magpiemariner
Visitor

Notification sounds not working

My wife's phone is not making sounds when SMS etc received, nor is it showing the icon in the notification bar. I have gone through all the settings I could find and made sure a sound is selected & the proper boxes are ticked; I copied from the settings on my phone, also an Xperia SP bought at the same time as hers. Mine works fine, hers does not. The SMS shows up when she opens the app, but no notifications. Her ring tone works when a call comes through and we hear the sound when selecting a tone in settings. Any clues will be gratefully received. Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Alexander1
Champion

You could try to clear data for messaging under settings > apps > all > clear data. Restart phone and try again. 

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46
Alexander1
Champion

Hi and welcome to the community! Since you're new please be sure that you have checked out our Discussion guidelines.

Just to make sure that you have looked at the right place. Open messaging > menu button > settings > make sure that notifications is marked and here you can also change the SMS notification ringtone. 

magpiemariner
Visitor

Hi, thanks for your reply. I had already set the notification in settings, but I just went back in to check. Yes, notifications is checked & a sound has been selected. Also "vibrate" was also checked, so I turned that off, just to see if that made any difference. I sent a message from my own phone to test, but there was no difference. No notification in the bar at the top of the screen, no sound & no indication of an unread message on the message icon.

Just to confirm, the ring tone works when a call comes in and when a notification sound is selected the sound plays.

profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

Are you using 3rd party apps for calls or messages?

alexdon
magpiemariner
Visitor

No, just the apps that were on the phone when we bought it.

Danial-mach1
Leader

Try to go setting>apps>all> find messaging check show notification is marked or not

magpiemariner
Visitor

Yes, notification is marked.

profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

Have you considered a repair of software?

alexdon
Alexander1
Champion

You could try to clear data for messaging under settings > apps > all > clear data. Restart phone and try again. 

magpiemariner
Visitor

Is there an "all" button? I've gone to Settings-Apps-All, but "all" is a list of all apps on the phone, there must be about 50 or more in the list. Did you mean I should clear data for each app individually?