Join now - be part of our community!

Problem viewing video on laptop NEX5N

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
negativegravity
Visitor

Problem viewing video on laptop NEX5N

Hi there, just got this camera and I seem to be having trouble when viewing video uploaded to my computer. It seem sthat anything filmed at 50 frames (whether interlaced or progressive) gives me the effect that everything is wavey (no idea how to describe this) whenever anything moves in shot - including if the camera pans.

The edges of the walls and shapes ripple in and out vertically whilst they move. Yet if I upload this video to youtube or th likes and view it on there, this effect is not there! Also, filming in 25 frames is fine, and no distortion is visible in either settings on playback on the camera!?

Any help is much appreciated,

Thanks,

Adam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
negativegravity
Visitor

Ahh, thanks guys. It seems you were both correct. I change a setting in VLC to deinterlace and this seems to have done the trick. Just trying to figure out why anything filmed at 50p doesn't come up as an option to transfer off camera to computer now!!

2012 Macbook pro

2.3 GHz intel core i7

4 GB RAM

(All current firmware updates)

Cheers

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Hi Adam

Hope all is well. What I would try is filming in a lower res to see if the same occurs more for testing purposes that a permanent fix. It could be down to performance of the computer since once uploaded to YouTube, it is usually optimised as it is rendered differently.

What I find when editing video especially through specific programs, I do suffer unusual video behaviour at higher resolutions but fine on anything on a lower framerate/resolution.

Let us know your findings and will do what we can to help.

Regards, Teshi

Mick2011
New

That sort of problem is down to the way your video is de-interlaced.

If you set a lower resolution you'll likely be shooting a progressive format (the 'p' in 720p) which doesn't require de-interlacing, unlike 1080i, the 'i' referring to interlaced capture.

The smoothness of progressive capture means 720p often looks better than interlaced higher resolution – in my opinion, anyway :wink:

Nothing wrong with higher resolution though, and you should be able to fix much of that 'wavyness' by using the correct upload method. Have a look at this thread and see if anything helps:

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/1264446#1264446

Cheers

Mick

negativegravity
Visitor

Ahh, thanks guys. It seems you were both correct. I change a setting in VLC to deinterlace and this seems to have done the trick. Just trying to figure out why anything filmed at 50p doesn't come up as an option to transfer off camera to computer now!!

2012 Macbook pro

2.3 GHz intel core i7

4 GB RAM

(All current firmware updates)

Cheers