Join now - be part of our community!

black dot in the middle of the image? Sony a6000

profile.country.GB.title
nk0342
Explorer

black dot in the middle of the image? Sony a6000

dot in the picturedot in the picture

Hello, I noticed that my sony a6000 developed dots in the middle of pictures. I thought it was something on the lens and tried to wipe it off, but not the case.

In fact, when I zoom in, the dots fade in colour, but also get bigger. But they only appear when on Manual Exposure or on Aperture Priority. All the other modes are perfectly fine.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @nk0342,

maybe there is dirt on the back of the lens of on the sensor?

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
nk0342
Explorer

is it safe to wipe with the same cloth I use for my glasses?

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @nk0342,

the back side of the lens - yes.

If you want to clean the sensor better go to a camera store and let them clean it professional.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
nk0342
Explorer

Hi @IamNic

Thank you for that!

I just tried wiping the back lens and noticed something weird: there are now 2 dots, but they only appear when on Manual Exposure or Aperture Priority.

profile.country.GB.title
kregor1
Explorer

Looks like you have some dust/item on the sensor, you can use a soft camera lens/sensor cleaning brush to remove these specks from the sensor

profile.country.GB.title
nk0342
Explorer

hi @kregor1

The dots appear only when on Manual Exposure or Aperture Priority, so I'd like to believe it's not dust 😞

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @nk0342,

I assume it shows up if the aperture is at a certain level, could you test this in manual mode by opening and closing the aperture?

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
nk0342
Explorer

Hi @IamNic

changing aperture makes the dots bigger but lighter (F3.5) or smaller but darker (F22). Similar when zooming.

F3.5F3.5F7.1F7.1F14F14F22F22I'm gonna attach some pictures as examples, I hope you can see them.

Again, Thank you for helping me with this!