Join now - be part of our community!

A7R iii - Magnifying (zooming in on) an image in playback

profile.country.GB.title
johnkv
Explorer

A7R iii - Magnifying (zooming in on) an image in playback

Does anyone know what the standard magnification (zoom level) is when you press the AF-ON button in Playback mode?  You can then magnify  (zoom in on) the image further by subsequent presses of the button.  Is the initial magnification to 100% or is the maximum magnification 100%?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi John,

Welcome to the community.

We'll look into this and update you with our findings. Meanwhile, some of our members may have some helpful information.

Best wishes,

Ed

profile.country.GB.title
Tenneen9000

Hi John, this is an interesting question. Can you tell me what lens you are using?

Cheers,

Tenneen9000

profile.country.GB.title
johnkv
Explorer

Hi Tenneen9000,

with respect you have misunderstood my question or I haven’t explained clearly.

The lens is immaterial, I am not talking about “zooming in” on an image before I press the shutter. I am talking about magnifying the captured image in Playback mode. I guess my use of the word zoom was misleading. I apologise.

I capture RAW+JPEG simultaneously, writing the RAW file to the faster card slot 1 and the smaller JPEG file to card slot 2. An expert has since clarified that when you look at a RAW file in the camera you are looking at a thumbnail preview of the captured RAW file not the full 42MP file. 

Nevertheless, if I am reviewing a JPEG file in camera and I press the AF-ON button to Magnify the image on the Monitor or EVF, with the Enlarge Init. Mag. set to Standard, I was curious to know whether that Magnified it to 100% or not.

i hope that is clearer.

regards

John

profile.country.GB.title
Tenneen9000

Hi John,

I will check this out and get back to you.

Cheers,

Tenneen9000

profile.country.GB.title
Tenneen9000

Hi John,

I checked your question, and as far as the info in this link goes https://bit.ly/2GdrIG6 , the 100% value or 1.0x displays the image with the same magnification as the shooting screen in both full frame and APS-C shooting.

All the best,

Tenneen9000

profile.country.GB.title
johnkv
Explorer

Tenneen9000,

The link you have provided refers to Focus magnification (before capturing the image) NOT the Image magnification in Playback mode, which is what my question relates to.

They are different things.

Regards

profile.country.GB.title
Tenneen9000

Hi John,

Sorry for the previous confusion. I checked again and found out that when Init. Mag. is set to standard images are displayed at their original dimensions.

Regards,

Tenneen9000